No more New or Relicensed Nuclear Power Plants! (Continued)
The WILPF Nuclear Power Cluster Group works actively in Southeastern U.S. and New England for an end to the nuclear power industry. But first, there are much better, safer and cheaper solutions for US and global energy needs than nuclear power, oil, natural gas or coal. Nancy Price of Earth Democracy urges us to watch "The Incredible Hulk" and Stanford professor Mark Jacobsen as they show us how to "Power the World."
- Ellen Thomas reports on the NGO summit on nuclear power in the Southeastern U.S. June 30-August 1 in Charlotte, N.C. She represented WILPF's DISARM!/End Wars Committee. Ellen reports that she has learned “the southeast is ground zero for the attempted nuclear power revival, and is becoming a nuclear waste dump for the world.” Read her full report here. If you want to join those working to end nuclear power in the USA contact Ellen Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WILPF DISARM Committee member Hattie Nestel is bringing Cecile Pineda, prize winning author of Devil’s Tango: How I Learned the Fukishima Step by Step to New England. WILPF member Jackie Cabasso wrote the book’s Introduction and highly recommends it, Cecile will meet with groups in four reactor communities in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Three events are organized by WILPF Branches in Boston and Cape Cod. Pineda’s book is a wake up call for all of us and a powerful plea for abandonment of nuclear power everywhere for the sake of future generations as well as our own.
Click here for teach-in on safer, cheaper renewable energy sufficient to meet the needs of all. Furnished by the Earth Democracy Committee.
Here is the schedule for Cecile Pineda Devil’s Tango talk and book signing tour August 5 to 12:
- Sunday August 5: Northampton, Ma. 5:30 PM First Churches, Main St. talk and book signing followed by Hiroshima day ceremony and candle float
- Monday August 6: Brattleboro, Vermont 7 PM Congregational Church, 193 Main St talk and book signing-sponsors CAN, SAFE and GREEN, NEC
- Tuesday August 7: at 5:30 PM at the Howe Library 13-E South Street, Hanover, New Hampshire. Talk and book signing sponsored by the Sierra Club-organized by Denis Rydjeski 802-885-4826
- Wednesday August 8: Newburyport Jabberwhocky bookstore 7 PM organized by Joanna Hammond 978-388-3230
- Thursday August 9: Harwich Community Center, Harwich Ma 1 PM organizer Mary Zepernick 508-398-1023 WILPF
- Thursday August 9: West Falmouth Friends Meeting 5:30 PM potluck and book signing organizer Joyce Johnson 508-540-2238
- Friday, August 10: 43 Summer St. Taunton, Ma. organizer Pat McSweeney—brunch at noon 508-822-2882
- Friday August 10: 14 Sterling St Newton, Ma. 6 PM organizer Joan Ecklein 617-244-8054 WILPF
- Saturday August 11: Grafton Peace Pagoda 8 PM Petersburg, N.Y. 518-658-9301
- Sunday August 12: Albany Friends Meeting 10 AM, organizer Pat Beetle 518-477-4004