A Roadmap to Sustainable Peace in Libya
28 June , 2019 @ 2:00 pm3:00 pm
WILPF, in partnership with Together We Build It (TWBI) and with the support of UN Women, will hold a side-event to the 41st session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva on June 28th 2019, during which four activists traveling from Libya will speak as panelists.
The main objective of the side-event it to launch the policy brief recently developed by WILPF and TWBI presenting a feminist approach to Libya’s roadmap to peace in the face of militarism, fundamentalism, and patriarchy. The Brief aims to provide concrete recommendations to various national and international actors on how to achieve sustainable peace, conflict prevention and effective political processes.
Discussions during the side-event will also critically address the following important issues:
– Libyan women’s exclusion from the local and international political scenes on Libya, and the impact of this exclusion on the roadmap to peace
– The resilience of Libyan civil society and women-led initiatives on the grassroots level, the threats they are facing, their significant contribution to limiting the intensification of violence, and ways for the international community to support them
– Feminist alternatives towards achieving sustainable peace in Libya
– The role of the international community, particularly the Human Rights Council, donors and influential States, in promoting the meaningful participation of Libyan women and civil society in the peace process
- Dr. Rida Altubuly, President, Together We Build It (TWBI), Libya
- Rawan Khalfallah, Libyan Activist, Together We Build It (TWBI), Libya
- Aisha Altubuly: Activist, Member, Together We Build It (TWBI), Libya
- Zubaydah Albarouni, Libyan Activist, Together We Build It (TWBI), Libya
Moderator: Maria Butler, Director of Global Programmes, WILPF
The event is open to people holding a badge to the UN.