The sixty-second session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW62) opens its doors today at the United Nations Headquarters in New York to discuss challenges and opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls.
WILPF reminds the international community that achieving gender equality for rural women and girls requires taking action for rural women across the conflict spectrum. This must include: ensuring the leadership of rural women and girls when identifying problems and creating solutions; regulating arms that risk gender-based violence in rural areas; and increasing accountability for implementation of commitments on women’s human rights and Women, Peace and Security for feminist peace.
In preparation for the session, WILPF has worked to strengthen the meaningful participation of rural women across the conflict spectrum. We delivered a statement at the 25 January 2018 CSW62 Multi-Stakeholder meeting in New York, which spotlighted the issue of Fulani herdsmen violence shared by WILPF’s section in Nigeria. We also advocated for strengthening language on women’s meaningful participation, disarmament and accountability for gender equality and peace in the CSW62 draft agreed conclusions.
During CSW62, WILPF will focus on amplifying the experiences and work of our sections and partners. Join us!
- “Women Halting War on North Korea: The Promise of 1325 and Feminist Foreign Policy”, Women Cross the DMZ, 13 March 2018, 10:30AM, UN Church Center, 777 UN Plaza, Second Floor;
- “Women, Agriculture and the Vital (R)evolution in US Farming”, WILPF US, 14 March 2018, 12:30PM, 4 W 43rd Street;
- “Intersectional Feminism: Sharing Leadership in Women’s Peace and Security”, WILPF US, 16 March 2018, 12:30PM, Salvation Army, 221 E 52nd Street, Downstairs.
Select WILPF Partner Events:
- “On behalf of Themselves: Syrian Women Activists Organising for Justice”, Women Now for Development, 15 March 2018, 4:30PM, UN Church Center, 777 UN Plaza, 10th Floor;
- “Impact of Israeli Occupation on Lives of Palestinian Women in Jerusalem”, Women’s Center for Legal and Counselling (WCLAC), 16 March 2018, 8:15AM, UNHQ Conference Room D;
- “Gender Transformative Community Mobilization to Prevent GBV: Two Prevention+ Cases”, Sonke Gender Justice, 16 March 2018, 10:30AM, UN Church Center, 777 UN Plaza, Drew Room;
- “From Words to Action: Women’s Participation in Arms Control”, International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA), 22 March 2018, 1:15-2:45PM, UNHQ, CR B
In addition, WILPF will support mobilising youth leadership for intersectional movement building, through providing a capacity-building training for the WILPF US Student Practicum and engaging in strategic dialogues with activist and partners.
You can strengthen awareness, solidarity and action by using the following hashtags: #FeministPeace, #MeaningfulParticipation and #CSW62.
Raise your voice: This is the time to pressure the UN and Member States for more action on Feminist Peace that works for rural women!
To learn more about WILPF’s action around the 62nd Commission on the Status of Women, visit http://www.peacewomen.org/UN/csw-session/CSW62