The Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) is a leading global organisation focused on addressing the root causes of violence through a feminist lens. We are working to create a world of permanent peace built on feminist foundations of freedom, justice, nonviolence, human rights, and equality for all.
We are seeking to immediately hire a motivated, creative, and methodical team player to join WILPF’s Membership Team. The purpose of this role is to provide critical support to WILPF activists and leaders who are working for feminist peace around the world.
About WILPF: The Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) with National Sections covering every continent, an International Secretariat based in Geneva, and a New York office focused on the work of the United Nations (UN). Since our establishment in 1915, we have brought together women from around the world who are united in working for peace by non-violent means and promoting political, economic and social justice for all.
The Membership and Governance Associate’s main responsibilities will lie in supporting membership development, networking, and effective governance. With a passion for networking while demonstrating strong organisational skills, you’ll help the team stay on task and liaise with members across WILPF’s global network.
Support implementation of WILPF’s Membership Strategy to mobilise a powerful movement, in particular:
- Enable smooth, accessible, and efficient internal communications, including through WILPF’s membership platform, myWILPF, and various mailing lists.
- Create content for WILPF’s monthly membership newsletter and write articles to amplify the work of WILPF members.
- Organise and systematise documents related to WILPF’s global membership, including updating databases.
- Support the organisation of online meetings/webinars (internal and external), events, film projects, and other types of creative inputs that come up as projects develop.
- Assist with the engagement of our global membership, including liaising with members for implementing actions, communications efforts, and collective learning.
- Develop material for WILPF’s members, such as toolkits, guides, and templates.
- Support the translation of membership material to make our communications accessible.
Support the functioning of WILPF’s governance mechanisms, in particular:
- Support the preparation and implementation of online Advisory Board meetings, including taking notes and preparing meeting documents and memos.
- Provide administrative support for the functioning of the International Board and International Congress.
- Support communications that improve the transparency and connection between the International Board, different committees and the membership.
- Support the logistics and preparation of in-person International Board (IB) meetings.
- Assist with the maintenance of general mailboxes, mailing lists, emails, and online directories.
- Provide general administrative support to the team as needed and as relevant.
Interdependencies and Reporting
The Membership and Governance Associate will work with the Membership Coordinator and Governance Liaison as part of the Membership Team, and reports to the Membership Manager, all based in Geneva.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
- Extremely well-organised and detail-oriented with excellent time management skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to effectively communicate across a multicultural and multilingual staff, as well as with internationally based membership sections.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise work and take initiative. Detail oriented. Ability to quickly pivot to evolving organisational priorities, based on fluid programmatic contexts in complex conflict environments.
- Practical, and efficient with a structured yet creative approach to problem-solving.
- Enthusiastic and reliable team player, yet independent and self-reliant.
- Proactive and able to preempt needs and requirements.
- Service-oriented, patient, personable, and diplomatic with a willingness to help members when needed, along with the ability to easily build professional relationships with people from different and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to write in a way that is clear and concise, in order to cater to different audiences.
- Strong commitment to WILPF’s values and mission.
Education and Experience
- At least 2 years of experience in internal communications or operations.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of French and/or Spanish and/or Arabic.
- Excellent computer literacy. Demonstrated experience with collaborative applications (such as Airtable, Trello, and Asana), email services (such as Mailchimp and Mailman), and in-depth knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), as well as knowledge of the Google Suite.
- Excellent administrative skills, including filing and maintaining digital records.
- Experience participating in digital communications (websites, content management systems) and event organisation, logistics, and coordination.
- While a university degree is not a requirement, a bachelor-level qualification in communications, information and technology science, peacebuilding, international development or other interdisciplinary studies is a plus.
WILPF will provide the Membership and Governance Associate with compensation commensurate with experience. Compensation will also be based on the location of the selected candidate.
The Geneva based annual salary range for the position is 60,000 – 72,000 CHF
The New York based annual salary range for the position is $53,018 – $65,621 USD
Start Date and Work Schedule
1 March, 2023 or ASAP
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) or it can be at 80% (32 hours/week) according to the candidate’s preferences and/or availability.
This position is remote and can be based anywhere. Preference will be given to candidates located in (or close to) areas in the Central European Standard Time Zone (or within a difference of +/- 2 hours). Office space is available in Geneva should the candidate prefer to work onsite.
Please send a resumé or CV and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Membership and Governance Associate” in the subject line.
Please note that any applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 1, February 2023.
WILPF thanks all applicants for your interest; however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate has been identified.
WILPF is an Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, WILPF welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates, irrespective of sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, ethnic or social origin, disability, religion, or belief. During the different stages of the recruitment process, specific measures may be taken to ensure equal opportunities for candidates with disabilities.